On December 16, PPG hosted the inaugural event of the Legislator Fireside Chat series. The webinar featured Francesco Sorbara, Member of Parliament for Vaughan-Woodbridge and Parliamentary Secretary to the Minister of National Finance.
Mr. Sorbara discussed the Government of Canada’s COVID-19 recovery plan and the support being offered to the business community by the federal government.
- Recycling Collection Drive: PPG’s Recycling Collection Drive is an employee engagement campaign that supports organizations to collect clothing and household textiles, helping to divert waste from landfill and engage employees about sustainability.
- Energy Leaders Consortium: Since 2013, PPG’s Energy Leaders Consortium members have implemented more than 450 conservation projects that annually save 128,000 eMWh of energy, 670 million litres of water and $30 million in utility costs.
- Natural Infrastructure and Climate Resiliency: This PPG program helps property managers, commercial developers, industrial manufacturers, institutional facilities, and business owners understand their climate risks and identify opportunities to mitigate those risks, and provides support to take action and become more resilient.
- People Power Challenge: A turn-key employee engagement program that gives businesses an opportunity to provide sustainability information and activities to employees at home and at the workplace. This engagement program runs from August to October, with each month focusing on a specific theme: low carbon transportation and energy conservation, water stewardship, and waste management.
- A Healthy Environment and a Healthy Economy: This plan is the cornerstone of the government’s commitment in the 2020 Speech from the Throne to create over one million jobs, restoring eployment to pre-pandemic levels. The plan includes 64 new measures and $15 billion in investments in addition to the Canada Infrastructure Bank’s $6 billion for clean infrastructure announced this fall as part of its growth plan.
- Pan-Canadian Framework on Clean Growth and Climate Change: This plan includes a pan-Canadian approach to meeting emission reduction targets, growing the economy, and building a resilience to a changing climate. It also includes actions to advance climate change adaptation and build resilience to climate impacts across the country.
- Canadian Centre for Climate Services: The Canadian Centre for Climate Services (CCCS) is a dedicated multi-disciplinary team with expertise across a broad range of climate-related disciplines. The goal of CCCS is to help Canadians improve their understanding of how the climate is changing and provide guidance and resources to help use this knowledge for making climate-smart decisions when planning for the future.
- Agricultural Programs and Services: A list of programs, services, and resources supporting the Canadian agricultural and agri-food sector.
- Clean Growth Hub: This Hub provides programs and resources to firms of all sizes who are working in the clean technology space across all sectors of the economy.
- Sustainable Development Technology Canada: The Sustainable Development Technology Canada (SDTC) helps Canadian companies develop and deploy competitive, clean technology solutions, to help solve some of the world’s most pressing environmental challenges: climate change, clean air, clean water and clean soil.
- How Carbon Capture Can Help a Net Zero Strategy, and Boost the Economy (RBC) : This report discusses how early investment in Carbon Capture , Utilization and Storage (CCUS) projects can help Canada meet its ambitious net zero goals.
About the Presenters
Member of Parliament for Vaughan-Woodbridge & Parliamentary Secretary to the Minister of National Finance
Francesco Sorbara was first elected as the Member of Parliament for Vaughan—Woodbridge in 2015.
Mr. Sorbara is passionate about the Vaughan community, where he resides with his family. With his strong work ethic and desire for a better future – values instilled in him by his immigrant parents – Mr. Sorbara is committed to supporting all residents in his community.
As Chair of the Canada-Italy Interparliamentary Group, he brings together Canadian and Italian leaders to promote business and cultural ties between the two countries. Mr. Sorbara served in the 42nd session of Parliament as a member of the House of Commons Standing Committee on Finance.
Mr. Sorbara is a chartered financial analyst and worked in the global financial markets for nearly 20 years in both Canada and the United States for Scotiabank, JPMorgan Chase, and global credit rating agency DBRS.
He earned a Bachelor of Arts with Honours in Economics from Simon Fraser University, and a Master of Arts in Economics from the University of Toronto.
Director of Aviation Infrastructure, Energy and Environment, Greater Toronto Airports Authority & Co-Chair of Partners in Project Green’s Executive Management Committee
Todd is Director of Aviation Infrastructure, Energy and Environment at the Greater Toronto Airports Authority (GTAA), a Founding Member of Partners in Project Green. Todd is also the Co-Chair of Partners in Project Green’s Executive Management Committee, acting as a catalyst for new ideas, innovation, and leadership for PPG’s priorities and performance.
Ward 3 and 4 Councillor, Town of Caledon & Chair of Board of Directors, Toronto and Region Conservation Authority
On January 25, 2019, Councillor Innis was elected as Chair of the Board for Toronto and Region Conversation Authority for the 2019 to 2022 term of office. In this role, she will lead and advocate for the protection of our watershed and environment as well as promote and encourage education and connecting people to nature. At Peel Regional Council, she is serving as Vice Chair of Waste Management for a second term.