Greening Corporate Grounds
Partners in Project Green (PPG), a program of the Toronto and Region Conservation Authority (TRCA) is bringing Greening Corporate Grounds (GCG), a program of Credit Valley Conservation (CVC), to TRCA’s jurisdiction of Peel! The aim of the program is to help businesses in Peel build resilience to risks of flooding and heat, two aspects of climate change that are expected to heavily impact the Region.
About Greening Corporate Grounds
Greening Corporate Grounds (GCG) provides businesses with a FREE Sustainable Landscaping Assessment and Action Plan that identifies projects that can help them qualify for a credit on their stormwater charge and:
- Reduce flood risk
- Protect valuable property assets
- Lower long-term conventional landscaping costs
- Support sustainability initiatives to improve air, soil and water quality
- Create healthy habitats for pollinators, birds and other beneficial wildlife
- Build climate resiliency
GCG provides technical expertise and guidance to move businesses from project planning to on-the-ground action. GCG has worked with notable companies, like CRH / Ash Grove Canada, Mitutoyo Canada and HP Canada.
GCG is generously supported by the Region of Peel and the City of Mississauga.
Bringing GCG to TRCA’s Jurisdiction in the Region of Peel
PPG partnered with CVC in 2022 to provide three businesses within the TRCA jurisdiction of the Region of Peel with access to GCG. Learn more about the Greening Corporate Grounds 2022 Pilot Project.
Beginning summer of 2023, the GCG program will support five businesses that qualify in the Region of Peel by providing a FREE Sustainable Landscaping Site Assessment and Action Plan that includes the TRCA’s Flood Risk Preparedness Assessment evaluating the consequences of flooding and heat waves at the lot level. These assessments will inform appropriate courses of action to adapt and build climate resilience, including reducing flood risk through grading, drainage, and storage techniques and increasing the amount of shade to lower surface temperatures. There will also be incentives to implement eligible flood or heat risk adaptation measure on site (additional eligibility will apply).
PPG, in partnership with the Sustainable Technologies Evaluation Program (STEP), has also developed the FREE Corporate Flood and Heat Risk Management Resource Hub, with educational resources for sustainability professionals from Industrial, Commercial and/Multi-Unit Residential Buildings (MURB) sectors to build knowledge and improve their property’s adaptation to a changing climate.
Now Accepting Applications for 2023/24!
Participating businesses must be:
- A Member of Partners in Project Green. Learn more about PPG Membership.
- General membership – Free Sustainable Landscaping Site Assessment and Action Plan that includes the Flood Risk Preparedness Assessment.
- Member Plus – Free Sustainable Landscaping Site Assessment and Action Plan that includes the Flood Risk Preparedness Assessment AND incentive to implement an eligible flood or heat risk adaptation project on site.
- Located within the TRCA’s jurisdiction in the Region of Peel. Check the boundary map.
- An industrial, commercial, or multi-unit residential (MUR) property landowner/lessee that meets the following criteria:
- Landowner/lessee that owns or leases a property with sizeable outdoor space.
- Landowner/lessee that demonstrates willingness to learn about sustainable landscaping best practices on their property and is prepared to take action, including funding any/all implemented projects.
- Lessees have written permission from landowner that allows TRCA to:
- Conduct site assessments (data collection including photographs and soil samples etc.);
- Implement sustainable low impact development and/or green infrastructure projects on their property; and
- Agrees to maintain projects implemented on the property.
Interested in Participating?
For businesses in Peel that meet the eligibility criteria, please contact Chaya Chengappa at email@example.com to schedule a consultation.