Greening Corporate Grounds 2022 Pilot Project
Partners in Project Green (PPG) with the Toronto and Region Conservation Authority (TRCA) partnered with Credit Valley Conservation (CVC) in 2022 to provide businesses within the TRCA jurisdiction of the Region of Peel with access to CVC’s Greening Corporate Grounds (GCG) program, through the generous support of the Region of Peel and the City of Mississauga.
Starlight Investments, Pratt & Whitney, and BentallGreenOak participated in this pilot program to complete site assessments. Sustainable Landscaping Action Plans were then provided to each business identifying opportunities to improve the social, financial, and environmental impacts of the property by reducing flood risk, creating healthy wildlife habitats, and improving the overall natural aesthetic. We are currently working with these businesses to implement their Action Plans for lasting resiliency and cost savings.
GCG provides businesses with a free sustainable landscaping assessment and action plan to identify sustainable landscaping projects that can help them qualify for a credit to their stormwater charge and achieve the following:
- Reduce flood risk
- Protect valuable property assets
- Lower long-term conventional landscaping costs
- Support CSR initiatives to improve air, soil and water quality
- Create healthy habitats for pollinators, birds and other local wildlife
- Build climate resiliency
GCG provides technical expertise and project guidance to move businesses from project planning to on-the-ground action. GCG has worked with notable companies in the city, such as CRH Canada, Mitutoyo Canada and HP Canada.
GCG is generously supported by the Region of Peel and the City of Mississauga.
Participating businesses were:
- A Member of Partners in Project Green. Learn more about PPG Membership.
- Located within the TRCA’s jurisdiction in the City of Mississauga. Check the boundary map below.
In addition, please ensure you are an industrial, commercial or institutional (IC&I) or Multi-Unit Residential property landowner/lessee that meets the following criteria:
- Landowner/lessee owns or leases a property with sizeable outdoor space.
- Landowner/lessee demonstrates willingness to learn about sustainable landscaping best practices on their property and is prepared to take action, including funding any/all implemented projects.
- Lessees have written permission from landowner that allows TRCA/CVC to:
- Conduct site assessments (data collection including photographs and soil samples etc.)
- Implement sustainable landscaping projects on their property and
- Agrees to maintain projects implemented on the property.
If you are interested in participating in the GCG program, please contact Chaya.Chengappa@trca.ca to learn more.