General Membership permissions are required to access this content.
The following section highlights PPG members taking action to reduce road salt use on their properties. Here you can learn about the steps businesses are taking across the GTA to minimize their impact on the environment, save money and protect staff and visitor safety with responsible road salt management.
If you want your salt reduction case study featured on this webpage, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Seneca College Salt Management Plan: Seneca College has completed an RFP process and selected a contractor who is onboard with helping Seneca reduce their road salt use by 50% for the 2021-2022 winter season and additional amounts the following years. Highlights from this Scope of Work include:
- Acknowledging environmental impacts of excessive road salt
- Salt reduction plan including alternatives to road salt use whenever possible
- Closing non-essential roads, walkways, and paths over the winter season to reduce salt and de-icing material
- Snow clearing to reduce the need for salt
- Measuring accurate road salt delivery
- Efficient application through pre-wetting and anti-icing techniques
- Direct Liquid Application to prevent snow or ice bond to paved surface
- Road salt alternatives and low-chloride materials